Scope of Work
The Australian maritime sector is currently regulated by eight separate government agencies belonging to the Commonwealth, States and the Northern Territory each with different legislation in place. This federal system poses challenges if we are to achieve our goal of the seamless movement of vessels and their personnel around Australia. NMSC’s aim is to establish a single agreed benchmark of marine safety for Australia with a minimum of inter-jurisdictional differences.
This is achieved by:
- Systematically replacing the Uniform Shipping Laws Code with the performance-based National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV). Development of the various Sections of the NSCV and reviewing them as required forms the major part of the work of the NMSC.
- Promoting the adoption into legislation of the NSCV through amendments to the USL Code and other approaches, as appropriate, to ensure their uniform application in law around Australia. To view the Combined USL/NSCV Click here.
- Providing practical assistance to the Commonwealth Government, as required, in investigating a new regulatory model for Australia.
- Undertaking research into safety outcomes to measure the success of current standards and regulatory approaches and identify emerging risks.
- Developing policies and guidelines to assist in policy development by Marine Safety Agencies with a view to achieving more national uniformity.
- Establishing registers covering equipment that complies with relevant safety standards, accredited training organisations and other safety related matters.
- Issuing publications that facilitate implementing aspects of marine safety and assessing marine qualification.
- Running forums, workshops and conferences to engage with industry and the wider public and seek their views of questions of marine safety and training.
- Facilitating a common understanding of changes in standards by providing forums specifically for staff of Marine Safety Agencies.
- Developing and publishing national interpretations of standards where required.
Click here for a copy of NMSC’s Strategic Plan 2008-2013