The role of the NMSC is to develop national guidelines and standards for recreational boating that support the regulation of boating and guide good practice. NMSC also undertakes national safety campaigns and communicates important safety information to industry and the boating public.
- Carriage of safety equipment
- Fitting of an Australian Builders Plate
- HIN numbers and other anti-theft measures
- Registration of certain classes of boats
- Rules governing the carriage and use of marine radio and other means of communication, such as EPIRBs
- Licensing of skippers who may need to have a licence or ticket to operate certain types of boats
- International rules on collision avoidance, including any additional local requirements